Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Last Detective--Robert Crais

Submitted By: Ivan moreno
School: ssc middle school
Grade: 8
Title: THE LAST DETECTIVE
Author: Robert Crais
Rating: 5 stars
Review:
I remember when one of my teachers told me to get a book to write a book review on it, so my mom and me went to get a book. I picked out HOSTAGE from all the books. It took me like two weeks to read fifty pages. After those pages I started to like it more and I read more, it is so delicious that I decided to read the other novels Robert Crais wrote.

My brain picked out THE LAST DETECTIVE from the novels he wrote but before that I went to his website, I found out that before he wrote novels he wrote scripts for Hill Street Blues, Cagney & Lacey, Miami Vice, and L.A. Law. He didn't like the rigid working requirements of Hollywood so he started writing novels in the mid 80's. After Bill Clinton read L.A. REQUIEM he felt so delighted that he wrote a letter to Mr.Crais. Robert Crais has won many awards including "beach book of the week" for HOSTAGE, best novel for DEMOLITION ANGEL, best novel from Edgar, Anthony, and Shamus award nominations for L.A REQUIEM, "page turner of the year" for INDIGO SLAM, "page turner of the year" for SUNSET EXPRESS, "beach book of the year" for VOODOO RIVER, best novel from Edgar award nomination for FREE FALL, best novel from Anthony and Shamus award domination for LULLABY TOWN, and best novel from Anthony, Edgar, and Shamus nominations for THE MONKEY'S RAINCOAT.

Crais lived in Louisiana as a kid and in present he lives in Santa Monica, California With his family, three cats, and lots of books. When not writing, Crais enjoys being an active aerobatic pilot, gourmet cook, and backpacker.

"THE LAST DETECTIVE is Robert crais's richest, most intense tale of suspense to date." says the book jacket. This is the best mystery you will ever find in present day. Crais combines first and third person in one book and he makes it work, Other books that use that technique make themselves sound confused.

THE LAST DETECTIVE is about Crais signature character Elvis Cole. Crais creates Cole as a private investigator with his friend and partner, Joe Pike. Lucy and Ben move to L.A. to meet Cole. When Elvis takes care of his girlfriends kid, Ben he mysteriously disappears and Cole and Pike have to fight the clock to find Ben. Cole receives a call he finds out that Ben's kidnapping surrounds his Vietnam past. Elvis's investigation to find Ben starts and Carol Starkey (which is the main character in DEMOLITION ANGEL) joins them.